Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Small Beginnings...

I finally finished reading the Old Testament. I thought I'd never get to the end quite honestly. And contemplated skipping what I had left to read and go right into the New Testament. It did take me several months to get through and it was and still is quite challenging to read about some of God's ways in the Old Testament. Every time I read it, I tried to pick up something I could hold on to or something that applied to my every day life. Maybe I was too overwhelmed at times with the violence and destruction in the Old Testament that I didn't mark up too many verses...but here I was getting to the end of the Old Testament praying that I could find something, a verse that would help me.

Now, sometimes I am an anxious person...anxious to see results in whatever I am focused on. In my journey with God, often times, I am disappointed when I make bad decisions...decisions that are not aligned with God's Word. I guess I would say that I am my toughest critic. Sometimes I find myself questioning my spiritual maturity; maybe I am not doing things the right way, or getting to where I should be fast enough. Questioning why I still mess up, why sometimes I take one step forward and two steps back.

While reading Zechariah, I read the following, "...Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin..." Zechariah 4:10

It was then that I realized so even though God requires certain things from us, He understands that we are merely people and He actually rejoices even in all the small beginnings we have; small beginnings that lead us to Him.

Thank you God...for letting me know that small beginnings do count.

No comments:

Post a Comment