Sunday, May 24, 2015

Insecurities

Sometimes, we can be our own worst enemy. I'm pretty good at that. It's so simple to list everything that I can't do, that I'm not good at, or could do better.

I find myself quickly turning down things of God that I should be doing but feel that I can't. I'm quick to make excuses, rationalizations, or an exception of why it doesn't apply to me, why it wouldn't work....why maybe someone else could do it better than me, or should be doing it instead of me.

During this morning's church service, the message was about being a peace maker versus being a peace keeper. A peace maker being someone that helps resolve conflict and not only keeps people away from each other to simply keep the peace. Doubt quickly creeps in my mind - no way, I can't help resolve conflict. All the reasons start lining up in my mind....

A little while later, I have a small revelation....all these doubts and insecurities (not only from this morning but over the last few weeks), these aren't from God. These are the lies that the devil wants us to believe so that we are not living for God and bringing Him glory.

For me, it's so easy to forget that spiritual warfare is real; that it is a daily struggle. A daily struggle that we can easily overlook and attribute to just not being good enough. Today, God not only reminded me of this, but He also reminded me that He knows exactly who we are, who He made us to be, and who we are capable of being. And for this, I am thankful. We are not perfect nor will we ever be perfect this side of heaven. I love that God doesn't ask this of us.

I love that God has shown us the way to overcome this warfare. He has equipped us with all the tools that we need to fight this good fight. We need only fight the fight His way, the way He has instructed us to do so. He's laid out the foundation for victory; what more could we ask for?

"A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God".

-Ephesians 10:1-17

No comments:

Post a Comment